Purchase this article with an account.
Chen-rei Wan, Barry Kapik, Charles C. Wykoff, Christopher R. Henry, Mark R. Barakat, Milan Shah, Rafael V. Andino, Thomas A. Ciulla; Clinical Characterization of Suprachoroidal Injection Procedure Utilizing a Microinjector across Three Retinal Disorders. Trans. Vis. Sci. Tech. 2020;9(11):27. doi: https://doi.org/10.1167/tvst.9.11.27.
Download citation file:
© ARVO (1962-2015); The Authors (2016-present)
This study assessed physician-investigator experience with suprachoroidal (SC) injections, an investigational therapeutic administration technique using a 900 or 1100 µm microneedle to inject drugs into the SC space.
Datasets from six clinical trials across three diseases (noninfectious uveitis; diabetic macula edema, and retinal vein occlusion) were assessed. In addition to a user survey, retrospective correlations were performed between procedural variables (needle length), and demographics, and ocular characteristics.
In the user survey, 84% (31/37) of physician-investigators did not perceive the SC injections to be meaningfully more challenging than other ocular injections. For the correlation analysis, the 900 µm needle was used for 71% (412/581) of baseline injections, and switching to the longer needle occured in the remaining 29% of baseline injections. No statistical correlations were found between needle lengths and age, race, disorder, refraction, visual acuity, intraocular pressure, retinal central subfield thickness, or lens status. Patient gender and needle length were statistically associated, with 76% (210/275) versus 66% (202/306) of injections administered with 900 µm needles for female and male gender, respectively. Injection quadrant correlated to needle length with 78% (214/275) of superotemporal quadrant injections administered with 900 µm needles, compared with 65% (73/113) of inferotemporal quadrant injections.
Both the user survey and the correlation analysis demonstrated that SC injection is well accepted by physician-investigators, and the two needle lengths accommodate a wide range of anatomic and demographic variables.
These results, along with the presented ex-vivo endoscopic imaging, suggest that SC injection could be readily adopted in clinical practice for targeted compartmentalized delivery of ocular therapeutics.
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only